This is a high performance ultra lightweight steering rack assembly for a track day performance race car. Typical of the steering racks used in Formula1, this steering rack uses a herringbone or double helical titanium pinion gear mated to a steel rack. Due to the nature of the herringbone gear side loads are not transmitted during the operation of the gear so thrust bearings are not required. Also a very small pinion can be used do the high torque transmitting capabilities of the design. The aluminum pinion housing mates directly to an aluminum rack housing allowing adjustment of the gear to rack meshing.
Race Car Steering Rack
- Material: Aluminum 6061, Titanium
- CAM Software:: Delcam Powermill, CAMplete TruePath
- Tool Holders: Rego-Fix PoweRgrip
- Cutting Tools: Emuge Franken
- Setups: Multiple
- Work Holding: System 3R MacroHP